Thursday, July 16, 2015

Carrot Ginger Soup with Coconut Poached Chicken

I'm not usually one to share recipes but this one worked out so well I needed to share it.  Delicious on a cold rainy day (like it is here today!).  It will warm you up and even my kids ate it!


Ingredients:
1 onion
3 cloves garlic
2 – 1 inch pieces of fresh ginger
3 large carrots (I also added a small sweet potato)
3 cups stock (I used A.Vogel Herbamare Bouillon Plantaforce)
2 Tbsp butter or coconut oil
1 can coconut milk
500g chicken breast – cut up into slices to decrease cooking time


Cut up onion, garlic, ginger, carrot and sweet potato.  Carrot and sweet potato can be in large pieces as they are going to be blended later.  Put in a pot with the butter and cook until onion is translucent.  Add 2 cups of stock and cook until tender.  Once cooked, blend until smooth.  I put it through my Vitamix but a stick blender is also useful.

While that is cooking put coconut milk and remaining 1 cup of stock in another pot and heat up.  Add the chicken.  Cook until chicken is cooked through.  Don’t let the coconut milk boil or it will separate. 

Once the chicken is cooked, fish it out with a slotted spoon.  Poor the remaining coconut milk/stock mixture into the carrot mixture until the desired consistency is reached. 

Take two forks and shred the chicken to bite sized pieces.  Add the chicken back into the soup and you’re done!  Add a sprig of cilantro to serve if desired.  I served it with homemade garlic bread. Mmmmmmm


No comments:

Post a Comment